Pages

With creativity and imagination anything can be acheived

Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Monster and the Growth of his Darth Vader Impression

   Last year around Halloween I picked up a Darth Vader mask on sale.  It was very simple, but it was Darth Vader none the less, so in it went into the shopping cart and later as it was passed over as a possible costume for that year it was tucked away with the rest of my costumes and nearly forgotten.
   Until recently when I was trying, note the word trying, to do a bit more deep cleaning and be a bit more organized.  In one of these "trying" spurts I came across all my costumes, clothing, hats, masks, etc and as the Monster was helping me (aka playing in the same room wherever was most inconvenient for him to be) he saw Darth Vader's mask and declared it a scary monster mask.  This made me naturally pause my cleaning frenzy and present him with the mask, after all I myself was raised on Star War's so his interest touched me deeply.
  Soon the little Monster was running around growling, pouncing, and pretending to bite and devour things.  It soon became very apparent that he had no idea who Darth Vader really was.  I was in horror!  But I knew that this was something that could be, and should, be remedied and fast.

   First I taught him how to make Darth Vader electronic breathing sound, which of course he picked up in no time. Such a smart little monster.
   Second of course, for purely educational reasons, was to watch the movies with him. Episodes IV, V, and VI not the newer three as I don't consider them  "Star Wars", but more like a Disney sequel.  Not surprisingly our first attempt was met him taking a nap less then 20 minutes in.  For some reason Star Wars works like a sleeping pill on small boys, which I've never understood the reasoning behind.
   Third we tried to watch again and again and again restarting a little before wherever he dozed off last.  I believe my parents had it much easier with VHS as you could stop them, take them out, watch anything else, and when my little brother bed time came just pop it back in where you left off.  DVDs are much more complicated.
   Hint: Star Wars is very usefully for nap and bedtime.

  So far we have made it through New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, but not yet Return of the Jedi, and the Monster has loved even minute of it that he has stayed awake for. His Darth Vader impression is improving vastly, yet I still scratch my head in confusion as the little Monster has decided that Darth Vader isn't a monster and isn't scary.  He does wield his miniature Light-saber quite skillfully for his age and his electronic breathing is very spot on, yet it confuses me how he decided that Darth Vader wasn't scary or evil especially without seeing the Return of the Jedi where his humanity is actually shown.

No comments: